If you are asking yourself “Why are my leg aching?” or wondering why your legs ache when lying down, this post is for you!
Aching legs usually occur because you are inactive for long periods of time, such as during work or study. Sitting still for a long time puts pressure on your legs and causes pain in the muscles and tendons.
Aching in the legs caused by sitting too long can be easily solved just by stretching your legs and moving around. However, if the ache gets worse after a period of rest or when you try to sleep, it could indicate that there is something more going on with your body. Your body lets you know that something is not right through pains like cramps, aches, or other discomforts.
Here are some of the common causes of aching legs at night.
Why you may have aching legs when lying down
With DVT, blood clots form in the deep veins of your legs, usually in one leg. The blood clot can block the flow of blood through your deep veins. As the clot grows, it can travel from your leg to your lungs. This can cause pulmonary embolism (PE).
DVT is dangerous because it can lead to tissue damage and to serious health conditions like strokes and heart attacks. It can even result in death.
There are several warning signs that may indicate you have DVT, including:
- Aching or painful feeling in the legs when you’re sitting, standing up, or lying down;
- Swelling in your legs;
- Feeling weaker than usual; and
- Chest pain, shortness of breath, or cough that doesn’t go away.
Aching legs when lying down treatment
To reduce the pain and stiffness, you can do the following:
- Place a pillow under your knees while lying down. This will help distribute your body weight evenly, which may help relieve some of the pressure on your lower back and legs.
- Do some gentle stretches while lying down. For example, you can do some knee rolls or foot stretches. These movements will help stretch the muscles in your lower back and legs.
- If possible, get up and walk around from time to time while lying down. This will help improve blood circulation in your lower back and legs, which can help reduce some of the pain and stiffness.
San Diego Vein Specialists
If you have achy legs, it’s worth seeing a vein specialist for a consultation.
If you suffer from varicose veins or spider veins, we may recommend considering having a procedure done, such as EVLT, to cure the problem. If you are considering such a procedure, contact Kafri Wellness Clinic to schedule an evaluation and get more information.
At Kafri Wellness Clinic, we have over 25+ years of experience working with patients to address vein issues. We also take into consideration a cardiovascular approach to your treatment to give you as much insight into your health as possible.
If you’d like to schedule a consultation to learn how we can help you, please contact us today!